Friday, July 22, 2011

Bourdon Tea Book Club

A few months ago, a group of my friends and I created a book club.  At the past two meetings, there has been this awesome drink, called Bourbon Mint Tea.  So, we have named ourselves the The Bourbon Tea Book Club.  The recipe is from Everyday Food (of course) and really good!  (recipe posted at bottom)  The rules of the book club are pick a book you either really love and want everyone to read, or pick something you've been wanting to read.   The rules are pretty simple.  Also, to choose a book, you must have read all the others and have to wait for everyone else to pick a book before you.  We're pretty relaxed about it and don't have to have the next one read for a couple months.

So far we have read:

The Lazarus Project by Aleksander Hemon
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
My Antonia by Willa Cather

and are currently reading:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I know absolutely nothing about Norse Mythology, so I am learning about that for insider knowledge into this book.  I am determined to get this book read fast since I will be starting school August 1.  I will be teaching art to elementary students!!!!  I am so excited and terrified.  I haven't said anything yet because I was waiting for it to be more official.  Wish me luck!  Hopefully they won't eat me alive.  ;)


Bourbon Mint Tea

In large saucepan, boil 4 cups water.
Add 1/2 cup sugar; stir to dissolve.
Remove from heat; add 8 tea bags of black tea.
Steep 10 minutes; discard tea bags.
Add 4 cups cold water; transfer to pitcher, and chill.
Add 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves.
Using a wooden spoon, crush mint until fragrant;
stir in 2 cups bourbon.
Serve over ice.  (serves 8)

No comments: