Thursday, May 20, 2010

9.

So, the wedding is 9 days away and I couldn't be more excited to get married to the man I can put up with for the rest of my life.
I was at work the other day doing what I always do, when I came across this book to put away, by accident. Well, I thought it was an accident, until I looked at the cover and then opened it to see what it was about, and I decided I needed this book.  So, I've been reading it, and it really has changed my life.  He is an amazing author, very honest and not afraid to admit his mistakes, plus its written like a memoir, which I love.

I have daddy issues, a lot of people don't even know because I never talk about it, my Dad didn't leave me as a baby, but he was never really there, and when my parent got divorced in the 5th or  6th grade I've always thought it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Really, it would have been better to have a father to show me how to be a real woman.  He never even once asked me about my engagement, and I was engaged for 15 months.  I think he just doesn't get it at all.  He wants to blame me for being a bad daughter, really?  And, he will never say he's sorry.  I've made lots of mistakes in my life, but I got really lucky when I found Kris.

One of the biggest decisions I had to make for the wedding was choosing not to have my Dad walk me down the isle.  The good thing about that situation was I had to confront my Dad about how I have felt for a long time, but had never told him.  It was really hard, but I did it, and I did it as reasonable and respectful as I could.

If you have any daddy issues at all you should read this book.  I think I'm going to read more of his books.  And, I will be giving a copy to my sister.

-edit-
I offered to try and repair the relationship, but he's not interested.  He has informed me that he will not be at the wedding and that I am no longer to call him Dad.

No comments: